Monday, July 29, 2013

The Arrival of Norah Leona Wisely

I am so incredibly excited to introduce Miss Norah Leona Wisely, who arrived last Tuesday at 3:12pm!






I can't believe our bean has finally arrived! Just a bit earlier than expected; I still am having a hard time believing all that's happened this week. And because it must be noted, here is my story from the top.

Tuesday morning I was woken up at about 4:30am because of some cramping. At about 6:00 when Bryan woke up, I rolled over to him and told him not to freak out, but I thought I was having contractions-- pretty regularly, fast, but pretty light. "Crazy!" we thought. "These things are false alarms all the time," we assured ourselves. So I went ahead and poured myself a bit of breakfast and continued on our morning; timing my contractions on an app I had on my phone (yes, there is an app for that). 


I had been having contractions about 45 seconds long about every two minutes. They only felt like menstrual cramps, so I figured I would go to work, sit it out and see how things progressed. Bryan and I took our walking break at 9:45, and at that point I was thinking that it was time to get ahold of my doctor-- things were getting more powerful, not subsiding! After a chat with my doc they decided I should come in when I could no longer talk through my contractions. That ended up being at about noon. After some hilarious hours of being at work and trying to have normal interactions with coworkers (nothing quite like, "Hey! Good morning! I am walking down the hall and secretly breathing slowly because I'm having a contraction at the moment. Trying to look calm."), we decided it was time to head to the hospital per my docs orders. (The waiting commenced also, because of my tiny breakfast surgery would be on hold until 8 hours after-- dang Honey Bunches of Oats). 

After a quick trip home to pick up some things, we met my mom, who took care of our first born (Walter went to stay with my parents while we went to the hospital)-- and we all met up at the hospital. At that time, I was definitely feeling that it was go time. Super regular, strong contractions-- it was happening! After being admitted, they told me I was 4cm dilated and 100% effaced (as our nurse put it, not an 'emergency' but the were going to have to work quickly to get me ready for surgery quickly or baby would be coming too soon!) I had one more quick ultrasound to check and see if baby had flipped out of her breech position (she hadn't, sadly), I was prepped for surgery.




Bryan and my mom called the phone tree of family and friends, and I was wheeled in to the operating room. Everyone was extremely wonderful, the staff was great (not to mention, we almost had the on-call doc help us, who's name was "Dr. Hu"--Dr. Who-- which gave us a giggle). After being prepped, anesthetized and readied, Bryan joined me in the operating room and we prepared to meet our little one. The procedure was absolutely the strangest thing I've ever felt; and I'd have to say I would have preferred many more hours of contractions/laboring to doing that again. Extremely uncomfortable and a bit terrifying. Lucky for me soon after I was introduced the the most beautiful face I've ever seen, our sweet, sweet baby girl.

(Even uncomfortable, it was hard not smiling and having a few tears after meeting Norah)


Our sweet girl was 8 lbs, 12 oz, and 20 inches long. Not to mention, sporting one of the most beautiful, thick heads of hair I've ever seen! They stitched me up, and Bryan brought our gal back into the room to meet the family, after being weighted and looked over. 





The epidural left me all shaky and unable to sit up-- so I wasn't able to hold our baby very well for the first few hours, which was a bit sad for me. But with such great family to hold her while I shook away it definitely made it easier. After everyone got to say hello, we had an hour to ourselves with just Norah, Bryan and I, where I got to breastfeed our little one and have a bit of quiet time. It was wonderful to get to reset for a bit after all that craziness. 

Tuesday was absolutely one of the most amazing days I've ever had. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all. Every day since then I have become even more attached (I didn't know that was possible); and even throughout all of the craziness I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. We spent two more days in the hospital, where we learned a lot about sleep, diaper changing and how our lives would be oh-so-very-different. Different in a good way, that is.

To say that things have been extraordinary would be putting it very lightly. Being home has been fantastic and a bit scary, but totally amazing because of our wonderful, supportive family and friends. Having a husband who is extremely active and helpful has also made things much, much easier. I don't see how anyone does this on their own (props, single ladies). 

Bryan has two weeks off, so we spent the last week adjusting and spoiling our little one. I am so happy he gets to stay home with us another week. Every time we do something different, we learn a little something-- and life feels like it can one day be normal again. I have millions of photos, thank you to my talented sister (thank you SO MUCH Amy!!) so I will try and keep them coming. 

Looking forward to updates with all sorts of stories, cuddles and adventures. I promise to keep you posted!


Much love,

The Wiselys'
Bryan, Sara, Norah and Walter

4 comments:

  1. Still so happy and have so much love for Norah! So proud of you sister. You made it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Auntie Amy!! very proud of you Sara!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Please keep posting. I love all of the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Please keep posting every now and then. I love seeing all of the photos!

    ReplyDelete